Saturday 21 January 2023

Thorek Ironbrow, Anvil Guards and the Anvil of Doom

Thorek Ironbrow, Anvil Guards and the Anvil of Doom.

I had been using my Ral Partha Runesmith for so long on a home made anvil, that when I got the Citadel model, I left these guys unpainted for ages. I finsihed the anvil first and even had a few games, but Thorek and the guards waited around for paintstripping and undercoat.

I had a hell of a time trying to figure out if the model was Kragg the Grim or Thorek Ironbrow, as there seems to be a lot of people that either choose for themselves, because the model was simply part of "The Anvil of Doom" with Runesmith and Anvil Guards. Other models of Kragg and Thorek certainly exist, but this one is a bit of a mystery. I think I'll simply go with Thorek.

His runestaff was broken and missing the top part when I bought him, and one of the flagpoles on the anvil was also missing. Fortunately for me, I never did like the lightning bolt motif, and had a spare plasma globe from an Empire wizard in the bits box. The single anvil pole became the Ironbreakers' banner. 



The models wern't too difficult to paint, and some of the detail was lost, as they had previously been banged around a bit, but I'm happy with the overall result, especially the plasma ball, which was actually the fourth item I tried for the staff top.


The Anvil of Doom has become increasingly a necessity to take against the Vampire Counts and the Undead, as they absolutley dominate me in the magic phase and lay waste to my Dwarves with their evil Necromantic spells.







No comments:

Post a Comment