Friday 30 December 2022

Dwarf Thunderers

Dwarf Thunderers


It's been a long time that these guys have been waiting to be finished, with a smattering having only undercoat and base paint. Years have gone by and finally I set myself the task of completing the unit before the end of the year.


 For a change, I decided to go for the black and red uniform to make things a little faster and to also give them a sense of being part of an organised unit, rather than the somewhat individual colours I started out with when first collecting.


The models are mostly 1990s sculpts, but there is one highland dwarf with the blunderbus who is a lot older and his face had begun to get lead rot, so he ended up with an eyepatch.
There are three of the 6th ed thunderers too, whose chain armour was a massive pain in the butt to paint, as it was pockmarked rather than well textured, which had the effect that it couldn't be inked, as air bubbles prevented the ink from settling. This just darkened the metal paint and left bright holes. Even after individulally filling the holes with the finest brush (which I ruined), it still took several attempts to finish and dragged out the process much more than it should have.


I struggled with the banner a fair bit, and all the rest were done and based, and I didn't finish it properly until after I had completed the entire Longbeards unit.
I started with a paper banner and the image bled too much, making it fuzzy. It was also too small.
I then printed the image I had lifted and altered from an online source onto a sticker, but again it was too fuzzy and too small. Someone on the forum suggested trying champagne bottle foil and so, I gave it a shot, and found it very easy to work with and also the right medium to hold the detail.
This made me want to go back and redo some of the other banners using the same foil.


It only occurred to me later that the standard bearer was ratehr different and strangely familliar, even though his face had also begun to suffer from lead rot, so that one of his eyes was hollowed, appearing like he had lost it at lome point. After a little more research, I discovered that he was actually the standard bearer for Prince Ulther's Regiment of Renown.

Scratching my beard in though and attempting to revive my failing memory, I looked through my Ironbreakers and sure enough... hmmm... found Prince Ulther's champion, Borri Forkbeard.


Well, now that I know - I guess it's time to give him a makeover.










No comments:

Post a Comment