Sunday 16 October 2022

The rise of the Waaaaagh



A long time ago, I started a little orc and goblin army, but it has kinda gotten out of hand.

Let me explain.

I started a greenskins army with monopose orcs and goblins mainly from Battlemasters and GW 4th ed, sculpey home-made trolls and a giant and that was the way I wanted it. No metals - no more expenditure...

Well, crap.

First thing that happened was that I got another Battlemasters real cheap at a thrift shop (seriously it was $5 for the whole thing - missing Empire).
Next thing that happened was I bought the 6th ed Orc boxed sets.
I bought an orc chariot from a friend... and converted a boar rider to a shaman.
Someone gave me a metal orc commander and 3 metal orcs and the great jester shaman from Warhammer Quest. (thanks buddy!).
Then they gave me ALL their 6th ed gobbo archers and spears.I tell you what, I may have been poor but I had some amazing kind friends - and that is true wealth.

Then the freaking Battle for Skull Pass comes out and I get it for half price (which is ok because Dwarfs is still my main army right?).
Well, with so many gobbos - I bought 3 metal fanatics.
Another friend dumps his gnoblars on me because he says he hates them. I love them. Especially the one wearing saucepan helmets.

I breathe.

I join a few facebook trading groups.

I somehow bought 2 more boar chariots, 3 old style doom divers, Skarsnik missing Gobbla, some netters and clubbers, a squig rider, MORE fanatics and now it's kinda multiplying like real greenskins... and I'm painting as much as I can until everything I see is green.

Holy squigs and now someone is selling Groms chariot, but no Grom or Niblit - and somehow I got bitten by the Grom the Paunch bug, and upgrade my terrible sculpey proxy for a mad Kings of War sculpt and WOW! Things are esculating fast.

I breathe.
I buy some more green paint.

Then someone posts a rock lobber and I think - you know, I dont have any artillery. Why not?

A few weeks later after it is painted, the Skull Crusher and the Lead Belcher arrive in the mail IN THEIR ORIGINAL BOXES, because I still remember looking at them in the shops as a small boy, never thinking that I'll ever be able to afford them like I'm Charlie Bucket from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

A river troll and 3 Stone trolls join in.  I trade a LOTR mini for 5 squigs. To top it off, a local guy is selling the Spear chukka for a song.

And so now, here it is. Freakin' HUNDREDS of models and suddenly it is starting to feel like a Waaaaagh that has happened under its own energy.

Now I'm saving champagne corks to build a rogue Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment